Saturday, April 25, 2009

Kitchener Stitch

This whole kitchener stitch thing is bullshit, pardon my language. I've followed different tutorials, all with the same result. Their picture looks all nice and neat. Mine looks like a heaping pile of crap. According to the pictures, the grafting should result in a row of stitches. Like the knitting just goes around the toe, not like there's a big old line there. So, what's my problem? It's clearly my problem, since I've tried different tutorials, all with a poor result. Surely they can't all be wrong.

Last time I grafted a toe, I had the hardest time with it and Jenny assured me that it's supposed to look like that. She totally lied. She was just trying to get me to shut up. I know it.

Anyway... I've finished one Spring Cable sock. Unless I rip it apart and try to re-graft. :(

(I would show pictures so maybe someone could tell me what I've done wrong, but the camera isn't home right now.)

EDIT: I've tried on the sock and studied it properly. It turns out that those 4 stitches I decreased too much on the gusset were imperative to the fit of the sock. It stretches out a bunch there and isn't pretty. I am seriously bummed.

Also, in case you might be thinking I am overreacting, you should know that it's not just the sock. My cat went to the vet yesterday and we found out he has an abdominal tumor. It's starting to sink in now that he might not be around long and I'm getting downright sad about it.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the cat.

    Sorry about the toe.

    Seriously, kitchener just looks like that. You get used to it, and better at it, with time and practice. But, nobody looks that closely at the way your toe is closed, even when you are showing off hand-knit socks! Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate the kithchener stitch, hate it, hate it, hate it. I usually do one of 2 things, other than when I just make a round toe and skip it all together. When you get to the end of the toe, like about 6 to 8 stitches on each needle, I just do the drawstring thing on them, and moove along. I have also just alternated the stitches to be kitchened on one needle so they are intermingled and then run the yarn back and forth thru them all a couple times and then finish off. I did this the first dozen or so pairs, before I found the round toe. My husband, the one with princess feet, has never complained and they look fine. Really, or I would havve had to pull it out and do it over. Like I said, I really hate the stitch.

    ReplyDelete